We all know that learning to read is important, but as parents what do we do to facilitate this milestone?
Reading to your child has many benefits one of which is simply having time to snuggle together.
Here are 10 reasons to read to your child.
1. When you read to your child, he/she will learn that reading is important to you; therefore reading will become important to him/her.
2. The more your child hears sounds, the better he/she will process these sounds into words. When a child is preschool/kindergarten age the listening word starts to become the written word.
3. Reading has a calming effect on a restless or fussy baby. Who doesn’t want an easy way to calm a fussy baby?
4. Reading is a wonderful before bed routine. Studies have shown that a child will thrive in an atmosphere in which routines are present.
5. Reading will help to develop your child’s imagination. Have you ever gotten lost in a good book? Your child can do the same while you are reading to him/her.
6. Reading will foster your child’s ability to listen and pay attention. With all the problems we here about concerning limited attention spans this is a great way to avoid that.
7. Reading to a young child will teach him/her the correct way to hold a book and turn the pages.
8. Reading to your child will develop in him/her the desire to become a reader.
9. Teachers will thank you.
10. When a child is read a personalized story book, he/she will be able to recognize his/her name in print at an early age.
Isn’t it exciting to think that you can have such an effect on your child’s ability to read just by reading to him/her? You have the power to develop a life-long joy of reading and learning in your child.
WOW! Just read.